Member Benefits & Renewal
SOS HR – Your Back Office HR Department
You haven't joined School Office Services?
Well, what are you waiting for?
SOS has provided support services to the business offices of independent schools for over thirteen years. We answer your HR questions and research state specific topics unique to independent schools. Join 400+ SOS members, and let us work for you SOS offers it members a robust HR web site specific to independent schools.
- Ask SOS – Unlimited access to our experienced staff of HR and risk management professionals to answer questions by phone or e-mail.
- Robust HR Website
- Articles - Archived articles published by SOS provide information and practical help on topics ranging from benefits, hiring, termination, finance procedures, safety, federal/state regulations, job descriptions, and insurance regulations.
- Handbook Policies - Our on-line employee handbook provides policies and procedures specific to school needs. These documents are compliant with federal and individual state requirements, and each can be downloaded and edited to meet the specific needs of participating schools. (Social Media, Misconduct & Molestation, Professional Dress)
- Job Descriptions- Sample job descriptions include a variety of faculty, administrative and support staff job descriptions in word format. All posted job descriptions with FLSA and ADA requirements. (Dir. of Facility, CFO, Dir of Admission, Development)
- Links, Forms, Checklists - Links to federal and state sites. Sample HR forms and checklists include Bloodborne Pathogens checklist, performance review form, etc.
- HR Updates– Weekly e-mails sent to member schools to inform them of pending or sudden change in the law, hot topics of the day and tips for addressing current school issues in HR and Risk Management. (Jan2012)
- SOS HR Lifeline - Quarterly magazine devoted exclusively to HR directors in independent schools.
- Timely HR Webinars - SOS provides training for it members through programs provided by Fisher & Phillips LLP and through Web seminars. Training sessions have included:
- Correctly Classifying Exempt and Nonexempt Employees
- Hiring and Firing Issue in Independent Schools
- Conducting an HR Self-Audit at your School
- Employment Law and Practices for Independent Schools
- Effective Discipline
- Research- School Office Services continuously researches changes in federal law and updates our site materials with best practices. In Pennsylvania, we tracked down background screening required by three state agencies. In California, we created a comprehensive check list for maternity leave.
- Salary and Benefits Survey– Currently we conduct tuition and salary surveys for three regional groups: PAISBOA (Philadelphia area), Cal-ISBOA (California), and MISBO. SOS is prepared to conduct a salary and benefits survey if asked by your school or Association.
Association Membership: SOS provides ongoing human resource support to school organizations. In addition to all of the individual membership services, SOS provides quarterly training meetings for the association as well as salary and benefits surveys for the association. Currently SOS works with three school organizations: PAISBOA in Philadelphia and Cal-ISBOA in California.